Luis AlcaldeCuba, Latin America and the Caribbean
Alcalde maintains a rich international and business background. A native Spanish speaker born in Havana, with family and friends in Cuba, he travels often to Cuba and speaks frequently on Cuban issues. He regularly works with U.S., Ohio and Cuban entities on a wide variety of Cuba projects and initiatives including agriculture, arts, travel, education and overall U.S.-Cuba policy and strategy.
- What We're Reading: "Beyond Student Recruitment: 5 Countries American Universities Should Watch in 2013"
- What We’re Reading: U.S. Engaging with More than 50 Jurisdictions to Curtail Offshore Tax Evasion
- What We're Reading: Cuba’s Post-Castro Future
Cuba, Latin America and the Caribbean Resources
OUR EXPERIENCE IN THE LATIN AMERICAN & CARIBBEAN MARKET
Kegler Brown's Latin America and Caribbean practice is founded on a thorough understanding of the region's legal, business, cultural and political environments. Kegler Brown knows the region for what it is: vast, diverse, quickly evolving, and despite its commonalities, greatly nuanced from country to country. To keep abreast of events in the region requires constant vigilance, in-depth research and work. That is what Kegler Brown does best on its own, in our close relationships with our clients in the region, and through our association with leading law firms in every Latin American capital.
To lead this practice, Kegler Brown has a Cuban-born, native Spanish speaking lawyer, Luis Alcalde, who has years of legal, business and personal experience throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Additionally, several other members of the firm's Global Business group have years of cross-border transactional experience in diverse areas of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Pre-transaction due diligence
- Greenfield projects
- Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and divestures
- Cross-border contracts
- Foreign distributorships, independent sales agents
- Outsourced services, foreign contract manufacturing
- Intellectual property protection
- International taxation, intercompany lending/finance
- Export/import regulations
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance
- Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) regulations
- Working with a large international manufacturer in the auto/trucking industry to establish and construct a large IMMEX manufacturing facility in Mexico
- Assisting a U.S.-based company with restructuring its manufacturing, distribution and sales system in Mexico
- Advising on the acquisition of assets in Mexico by a U.S.-based manufacturer of high technology products
- Establishing an investment company in the Caribbean for an international public company to fund Asian business expansion
- Leading an agricultural trade mission to Cuba, involving governmental and private entities
- Advising a wide range of manufacturers with acquisitions and operations in Brazil.
- Daily hands-on advice to the Mexican subsidiary of a U.S. company in the auto parts industry to accomplish a plant shut down and asset sale